This forum is closed to new posts and responses. New discussions are now taking place in the IBM Developer Answers forum.



Aug 23, 2017, 8:38 AM
3 Posts

XPages and IE11 Issues

  • Category: Server Side JavaScript
  • Platform: Windows
  • Release: 9.0.1
  • Role: Developer
  • Tags:
  • Replies: 4

I have built a XPage web application that our clients use to submit expense reports.  This was working correctly on all major browsers (IE, Safari, Firefox and Chrome) until the past month plus.  At that point IE started to falter. This isn't for all IE users, but just some.  Every now and then our clients using Internet Explorer receive an Internet Explorer error message when they click the save or submit button on the expense report.  The error message is "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.  Most likely causes are: You are not connected to the internet, the website is encountering problems, there might be a typing error in the address".

This seems to be an issue with the server-side code, as the client side code is working just fine.

I haven't found any solutions searching around, expect for someone saying: "We can generally fix this issue by asking the customer to clear their browser cache (so we do nothing on the server, it's all done on their machines).  Once this is done, the customer refills in the xpages and clicks the submit button, then all works." 

Which really isn't an acceptable solution, at least not in my opinion. There has to be something on my side, in the Domino world to fix this.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what the cause may be or what possible solution I can try (other than telling the clients not to use Internet Explorer)? And for some users that isn't an acceptable workaround as they only have one browser on their machine.
 

  • The clients experiencing this issue are using Internet Explorer 11
  • We're running 9.0.1 FP4 domino

  Thanks in advance, hope someone out there can help or at least give me a tip on where I should I look.

 

-AWL

Aug 25, 2017, 10:57 AM
3 Posts
Not just xpages but only IE

This seems to happen with web based notes forms as well not just xpages. Is it a server or internet speed issue?

Did internet explorer release as security update recently? Would having clients enter our site in as as trusted site help?

TIA

Sep 4, 2017, 10:04 AM
589 Posts
hmmm

I can't believe that this is caused by server side code.  The browser doesn't see that.  So be careful not to rush to judgement when you say "This seems to be an issue with the server-side code, as the client side code is working just fine."

 

Historically XPages apps have broken when a browser goes incompatible with the dojo controls.  this has happened at least twice that I recall.

First think I suggest you do is upgrade to the latest FixPack.  #9 just came out.  FP4 came out in July of 2015.  

 

Sep 5, 2017, 9:43 AM
3 Posts
Thanks

Dave-

Thanks for the heads up. I will move forward with upgrading the server. I tried to update one of our other servers and the upgrade gave us major issues, so I have been a little hesitant at pulling the trigger. 

Hopefully that will fix the issue.

 

Thanks again.

Tony

Sep 19, 2017, 2:55 PM
6 Posts
Issue resolved?

My customers have also had some issues with the IE 11.  In my case it wasn't an Xpage but a Notes web form.  The issue was definitely the browser and it only occurred with a few users so far.  The solution has been to clear IE 11's cache making sure nothing is saved.  When the issue occurs I didn't see any connection to our servers so this is a client issue and nothing you can do on the server would address it.

 

The only thing I can think of to try is using a meta tag to disable caching.  It would be incredibly time consuming to validate but that is the path I would try if the issue is still around.


This forum is closed to new posts and responses. New discussions are now taking place in the IBM Developer Answers forum.