Notes Storage Facility (NSF) is a database for storing data that contains all the information associated with a Lotus Notes Account. The NSF files are supported by both IBM Lotus Notes and IBM Domino Server and it is either stored locally or on a server. The NSF files usually ends with an .nsf extension. Two main NSF files are:
- Mailbox.nsf file contains all the mails, tasks, journals, and calendar
- Names.nsf file contains our personal Address Book information like contacts, connections, and locations. This page will be discussing on how to import Contacts from Lotus Notes to Outlook.
Scenarios Where We Need To Import Contacts from Lotus Notes to Outlook
Suppose, you have all the important contacts saved in your Lotus Notes account but unfortunately, the email client used at your company is shifting from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook. We would obviously want all our contacts to be able to access at our Outlook account. For this, we need to move our Contacts to a file that is supported by Outlook. The procedure involves export and import process that is explained in next para of the page.
How We Move Contacts from Lotus Notes to Outlook?
Both the applications Lotus Notes and MS Outlook supports different file formats for storing their respective data items. Lotus Notes uses NSF (Notes Storage Facility) and Outlook uses PST (Personal Storage Table) as their database. We cannot access the NSF File in Outlook directly and likewise, we cannot access our PST File in Lotus Notes. Therefore, we need to export the Contacts from Lotus Notes and import them into Outlook.
Procedure to Export Contacts from Lotus Notes
- Open Lotus Notes and select the Address Book that is in NSF format.
- Open the Contacts and select the contact you want to export.
- Click ‘File’ and select ‘Export Contacts’
- Choose all the contacts or only the ones you selected and put the file name and save as type - Comma Separated Value (.csv)
- Click ‘Export’ and you can see the exported Contacts in .csv format.
Procedure to Import Contacts into Outlook
- Open MS Outlook and click ‘File’
- Click ‘Open and Export’ and choose ‘Import/Export’ from the list
- Select ‘Import from another program or file’ and ‘Next’
- Select ‘Comma Separated Values’ and then ‘Next’
- Browse the file that you have exported from Lotus Notes with .csv format and select it. Three options will be there as shown in figure. They are- ‘Replace duplicates with items imported’, ‘Allow duplicates to be created’, or ‘Do not import duplicate items’
- Choose which one you need. Click ‘Next’
- Select the destination folder where you want your contacts to be displayed and ‘Next’
- Click ‘Finish’
- Import and Export Progress
- The Contacts from Lotus Notes can now be accessed in MS Outlook.
Note-: Although, we have manual method to move Contacts from Lotus Notes to Outlook, we cannot transfer our mails using this manual method. For that we can take help from third party tools to migrate all the data items including emails, contacts, tasks, journals etc. from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook.